To change the color of food and drink synthetic colors are used. They do it either alone or by reaction with other substances. Vibrant and attractive colors increase the adaptability of food items. Colors make them look delicious and appetizing. Chemically synthesized colors are not healthy for consumption which is why there are rules and regulations imposed by governments on the percentage of these colors that can stay in food and beverages. To ensure the safety and security of the consumers the manufacturers should clearly mention the usage of synthetic colors on the labels of the containers. Synthetic dyes can cause allergic reactions, hyperactivity, cancer, and many other diseases.
These artificial colors are mostly used in sweet dishes like candies, cereals, and baked food. It is also used in pet food, soda, gelatin-based desserts, meat products like sausages and hot dogs. Sometimes they put more than one synthetic color. The production of artificial colors is cheap which is why it is so widely used.
The Harmful Effects of Synthetic Color on Human Body
- In the past 50 years, the consumption of synthetic colors has increased by 500%. The long-term effects of these colors are not properly tested whereas some of these have cancer-causing effects as they can produce carcinogenic compounds during metabolism..
- The Center for Science in the Public Interest has the opinion that artificial food colorings can cause behavior problems and hyperactivity in children. Therefore according to them, the FDA should put a ban on particular dyes like Red 40 (which can hamper the liver and stomach in animals, sodium benzoate can cause hyperactivity and behavioral issues in children), Yellow 5, Orange B, Blue 2 (which can cause brain tumor in animals), Blue 1, Green 3 (which can cause bladder cancer), and Yellow 6 (which can cause cancer of kidneys and adrenal glands, and allergic reactions).
- Long-term usage of synthetic food colors in high concentrations can harm the immunity of children. The chemical composition of synthetic food colors can destroy food nutrients.
- They can cause skin rashes like eczema and skin irritation.
- Breathing problems and upset intestines are also the possible results of consuming synthetic food colors.
Did you know all these fun facts about synthetic colors? You can find more information on colors from the website of Markskill. You can also find our products and their descriptions. We are the best option when it comes to colors because we follow all the safety regulations and do not compromise the safety of our consumers.=
- Synthetic colors impart attractive colors to food and beverages that make them look appetizing.
- It is generally used in pet food, soda, gelatin-based desserts, meat products like sausages and hot dogs.
- If used for a long period of time it has the capacity to cause cancer.
- The worst effect of synthetic colors on children is that they can cause ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder). They also harm the immunity of children.
- Food nutrients are lost due to the chemical composition of synthetic colors.
- Some other side effects of synthetic colors are skin irritation, skin rashes, breathing problems, and upset stomach.